Saturday 18th November 2017 at 11am saw a group of men and their partners in Swindon climbing on to one of Barnes’s excellent coaches. Why? It was the Swindon Male Voice Choir visiting Shrewsbury at the invitation of the Shrewsbury Male Voice Choir, to perform in a joint concert in aid of Severn Hospice that evening. The choir stayed in a hotel in the centre of Shrewsbury, which gave them the afternoon to explore the higgledy-piggeldy streets of the ancient town, before travelling to the concert.
It can on[y be said that it was an outstanding concert, with performances by both choirs, and with the additional delight of several soloists, much to the enjoyment of a very enthusiastic audience.
Following the concert, the performers retired to the local Conservative Club where refreshments were provided by the host choir, and it didn’t take long for both choirs to break into song, thus finishing an excellent day.
After the usual cooked breakfast, the choir set out for Swindon, with a stop-off to visit and lunch at the outstanding RAF museum on the way. Although several members of the choir were ex-RAF, everyone was most impressed by what they saw.
Returning to Swindon at 5pm, a happy, invigorated but somewhat tired group of people left the coach, agreeing that it was a great weekend away – bring on the next one!
See below for some edited highlights of proceedings.
- A view of Shrewsbury town
- SMVC take the stage.
- Soloist, Imogen Miller sings beautifully.
- Now joining forces the two choirs sing.
- The parrots takes centre stage – you can’t help but laugh!
- You should have been there to understand the joke.
- The two MD congratulate each other on a great concert.
- Our one-man sales team achieves record CD sales.
- Some after concert supper, socialising and singing follow at a local club. Everyone agrees ‘We’ll Meet Again’