On Saturday 26th January 2013 members of the SMVC and Thamesdown Ladies choir meet for a Burns Night Dinner Dance at the Mercure Hotel and Spa, South Marston.
This social event was supported by Welsh, English and Irish as well as one or two Scots wearing kilts – which made it a truly international event. ‘World in Union’ or what!
- The guests have a chat and wait for the piper and haggis.
- Piper walking round the tables.
- Gordie Smith, SMVC concert organiser, attacks the haggis and talks us through the operation as part of the ‘Address to the Haggis’ tradition.
- Rachel and Catherine give a superb duet performance of ‘My Love is like a Red, Red Rose’. Rachel follows this up with rendition of a Pam Ayres poem which as Pam would say, ‘raised a titter’.
- Other traditional items followed including a toast to haggis.
- And, Oh how they danced!
- And danced again.
- Finally, when the drinks have been drunk and the raffle tickets bought and drawn the party’s over until next year.